Communications Manager Job Description
- To apply, email cover letter and resume to Alison Metiva, Vice President Donor Engagement and Operations, at email@example.com.
- Application deadline - October 15
- Job description below or download here.
Position: Communications Manager
Reports to: Vice President, Donor Engagement and Operations
The Communications Manager has primary responsibility for coordinating and implementing all marketing, communications, and public relations. This position is primarily aligned with our strategic goal of cultivating a culture of generosity and will provide leadership for all internal and external communications activities of the Foundation. This position oversees printed publications, media, social media, and community events. The Communications Manager develops and implements communication and outreach strategies that are designed to attract and inspire existing and future donors, reach a broad base of diverse audiences, and maximize the visibility of the Foundation’s work. This position ensures all marketing and communications activities are of the highest quality, are aligned, and support organizational goals.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
Marketing and Communications
- Lead development and implementation of comprehensive communications plan that utilizes a variety of strategies to meet organizational goals and engage key audiences
- Develop dynamic and engaging content for, and manage, all digital communications, including website, social media, and e-newsletters
- Work with the Donor Relations Manager to develop content for all print communications including the annual report, brochures, newsletters, invitations, form letters, etc.
- Work closely with all staff to ensure internal and external communications are of high quality and are aligned with, and support, organizational goals
- Identify storytelling opportunities, working with the Donor Relations Manager and grantmaking and program team, focused on donors and/or grantees and that can be leveraged across one or more engagement strategies; obtain, utilize, and promote impact information on programs and grantmaking to be shared across all communications platforms
- Provide oversight for advertising strategies, including working with Brand Tonic to prepare ad content, evaluate use of advertising dollars, and recommend advertising strategies
Public Relations and Earned Media
- Coordinate public relations and earned media efforts, including developing a media plan and schedule, writing press releases, developing and pitching story ideas, creating Foundation authored content, and facilitating media outreach
- Work with the program and grantmaking team to prepare and distribute communications including announcement of grant cycles, e-communications, flyers, graphic designs, etc.
Events and Presentations
- Contribute to the execution of special events, in support of the VP of Donor Engagement and Operations and the Donor Relations Manager
- Manage and coordinate community events, including Coffee+Community; serve as the lead staff representative for all community and sponsored events and tabling opportunities; attend sponsored events as assigned as a representative of the Community Foundation
- Facilitate and support speaking opportunities and other strategic outreach opportunities, including coordinating appropriate staff, providing talking points, and preparing materials
- Support Board Directors in their participation of marketing, communications, and PR activities
- Oversee tracking and reporting of communications metrics
- Other duties as assigned
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Job Requirements
- Experience with media relations, including writing press releases, developing and pitching story ideas, and facilitating media outreach
- Experience with digital communications and multiple platforms, including social media
- Proficiency in Google Analytics and SEO
- Preferred experience with graphic design, video production, or photography
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft office applications
- Collaborative, flexible team player that is self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Detail-oriented and passionate about quality
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs; manage multiple tasks in an environment with short deadlines; and generate creative ideas and implement them within the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with all staff, Board of Directors, committees, grant seekers, the media, outside professionals, and the community-at-large
- Experience and relationships to help connect to new audiences
- Knowledge about and passion for philanthropy and nonprofit organizations
Education, Experience, and Compensation
- Bachelor’s degree is required, with a degree in journalism, communications, or marketing preferred
- At least 5 years of related experience
- This is a full-time position with benefits available; initial compensation is anticipated to be $24.50/hour. Consideration will be given based on experience.
GTRCF is an equal opportunity employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at GTRCF will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. It is our policy to offer equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, marital status, height, weight, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.