Giving JAR Scholarship
The Giving JAR Scholarship was established in memory of James Allen Raymond and supports annual scholarship awards for graduating seniors from high schools in Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska or Leelanau Counties. Recipients include students planning to attend college with a goal of becoming teachers, coaches or other vocations ultimately giving back to youth within the communities they choose to live in.
In 2017, we awarded $2,000 scholarships to four area graduating seniors. View the 2017 winners HERE.
JAMES ALLEN RAYMOND (1934-2010)
Jim was a loving husband, father and strong family man throughout his lifetime and seemed to never meet a stranger. He offered his friendship and his ability to fix most things to neighbors and friends alike whenever the need was there. Over the course of his life, Jim kept himself in excellent physical condition as a former snow skier, avid golfer and general outdoorsman. He also loved to dance and took advantage of every opportunity he could. Jim spent 30 years as a math and driver’s education teacher and basketball coach, beginning with his first job right out of college at Michigan State when he became the head basketball coach for Benzonia High School in 1956. His next stop would be Clare High School in 1960 where he faced a program that had lost some 25-30 straight games before he took over the program. He turned the program around in his first year and his team won the very first game he coached. In 1963 he was recruited to coach at Saginaw Buena Vista, where he built a powerhouse team often ranked in the top five in the state, while winning multiple district and regional championships during his tenure. In 1970 Jim moved his family back north to coach both basketball and golf at Traverse City Central High School until he retired from coaching basketball in 1973; but remained as golf coach for a few years until he retired from teaching in 1986. When asked by one of his sons why he had become a teacher and coach, Jim told him that he had teachers and coaches when he was growing up that had helped mold him along his way in school and he wanted to give something back and return the favor. The Giving JAR Scholarship, in memory of Jim, will continue the positive impact he had on the hundreds of kids throughout his time as a teacher and coach.
- Applicant must be a graduating senior from a high school in Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska or Leelanau County.
- Applicant must be planning to attend college with a goal of becoming a teacher, coach, or other vocation ultimately giving back to youth within the community they choose to live in.
- Financial need will be considered.
- Academic performance will be considered and applicants should demonstrate at least a "B" average.
- Community service and involvement will be considered.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach or other non-related adult is required. Please email the leter to email@example.com no later than March 1.
- Applicant must be prepared to come in for an interview after the March 1 deadline.